Do you wish to join a leading Norwegian tech-adventure on their growth journey?
Of course you do. Join our young(ish) tech team of 20-odd skilled product developers, designers, and machine learning engineers while we try to create the next big platform for bot and eCommerce conversion technology. Right in the centre of Oslo, Grünerløkka.
We've put a lot of work into keeping the back of the house as tidy as the front of the house so that we can have fast-paced feature development. That means having a good developer experience for our team, maintainable code, updated libraries, lots of automation, and ease of deployment.
About the company
Kindly is a tech company that is experiencing strong growth. To support this growth, we are on the lookout for a new addition to our machine learning team; someone who is passionate about natural language processing, machine learning and technology, and is smart and friendly! We are looking to add a Lead Machine Learning Engineer to our product team. The team consists of 20+ developers, designers, and machine learning engineers.
Kindly develop a platform for creating chatbot solutions, used by businesses to engage, assist and convert their visitors and customers online. Our tech reaches over 1M users each month, and thousands of messages are processed every hour on behalf of our customers - Companies such as Elkjøp Nordic, Kahoot, Varner Group, and Norwegian, to name a few. Kindly is fast-paced and looking to scale up, with ambitions to become a world-renowned brand.
We are very happy that our company is being built by fun, down-to-earth, hardworking, and talented people. We value our employees' creativity and innovative ideas and strive to be an organisation that nurtures curiosity and encourages its employees to experiment and grow.
Together, we're developing a platform that takes the online user experience to the next level!
About the position
As the Lead Machine Learning Engineer at Kindly, you will lead a team of machine learning engineers to work on maintaining and improving our existing machine learning services while also designing and implementing new models and features that make Kindly’s products even better using ML and NLP.
You will find yourself experimenting with and prototyping new ideas as well as put machine learning models into production. You will work closely with the product team to take your initial prototype to production through the full feature development cycle: discussing the idea with others, design speccing, development, testing, and finally releasing it into the wild to tens of thousands of users. You will grow, build and lead the Machine Learning team to new heights.
Things you will do
Together with the machine learning team, you will work to:
- Lead the ML team to work on improving the natural language understanding that powers Kindly products, starting from an initial prototype to a production-ready PR.
- Improve the performance and scalability of our ML services – response time is paramount!
- Deploy the machine learning models to production and see how they perform in a real-world setting, with tens of thousands of users.
- Implement effective methods for monitoring, evaluation, and analytics for ML.
- Be part of architecting and developing backend services for training, prediction, and annotation (we use Python and FastAPI).
- Collaborate with the broader product team to implement ML-powered features on our platform.
- Communicate new ML-driven features to the whole team and our customers.
- Collaborate with the delivery team to prioritize our roadmap and assess the impact of the ML features we develop.
- Use your favorite ML frameworks and your creativity to build fun applications in our monthly hackathons.
- Be updated on the recent advances in NLP and ML and, when possible, adapt them to improve our products.
- Build a world-class Machine Learning team at Kindly.
Who are you?
- You are a learner and problem solver who is not afraid to dive deep into complex problems but can also make the right trade-offs to solve the problem at hand.
- You love to experiment with new ideas, but you also have an eye for which experiments have the potential to make it to production.
- You have experience with hiring, recruiting, building, and leading a team of ML engineers.
- You can work independently and within a team, and take initiative and ownership of our ML/NLP services and our products in general, to identify potential avenues for improvement.
- You are also an easy-going and social person who appreciates and enjoys a good working atmosphere and having fun at work.
- MSc in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, or similar practical experience in an industrial or research setting.
- Broad knowledge of fundamentals and state-of-the-art in natural language processing and machine learning.
- Demonstrable experience working with building and deploying ML models.
- Strong problem-solving skills and hands-on experience with popular ML frameworks such as Tensorflow, Scikit-Learn, and Spacy.
- Experience with data science and visualizations (Pandas, Streamlit, iPython notebooks).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate specialized material to unspecialized audiences.
- Good understanding of web services and REST APIs.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud technologies.
Please note that the preferred qualifications above describe the ideal candidate, but we do not expect you to check all boxes; as long as you are a learner, we would love to hear from you!
What we offer:
- A competitive salary, and an opportunity to build a career in a fast-growing tech company with large international growth ambitions. This will hopefully excite you as much as it excites us!
- Opportunities to grow, both personally and professionally. You will be supported in this by a team of experienced Business Managers.
- A key position in Kindly's international expansion, with an energetic, passionate, and friendly sales team, totally awesome tech-heads, wonderful web designers, uniquely brilliant delivery managers, and masterful marketers.
- Coaching in sales and marketing of our technology and digital solutions, in one of the fastest-growing (but competitive!) industries.